Fishing from a BobCat boat provides numerous advantages compared to fishing from the shore. You can venture deeper into the sea where fish are in plenty and target the bigger ones that rarely come close to the shore. If you have a BobCat boat or has hired one, it is important to prepare appropriately for a successful fishing expedition. Here is a complete guide on preparing a BobCat boat before fishing.
Get the right boat license
Many states in the US require that boats fishing in their waters have to be licensed. Then, you must display the sticker on the backside of the boat. Some states are very specific about the nature of registration numbers to fix on the boat. As far as you have a licensed boat, you are free to ride and fish in every coastal water of the United States. Note that another license will be required for the trailer that will be transporting the boat to the fishing site.
Acquire all the important safety equipment
To fish from a BobCat boat, you will need the following set of fishing equipment.
- Kill switch: A kill switch is a special clip attached to your belt that helps to shut the engine in case you are thrown into the water.
- Live jackets: Many states require that you must have a live jacket when fishing from a boat. By wearing a lifejacket, you cannot sink even after accidentally falling into the water.
- A boat fire extinguisher: Because an internal combustion engine runs bobcat boats, the risk of fire is always imminent. The extinguisher will come in handy to put off such fire.
- A support rope: A rope is very important for tying the boat to the docks, lowering the anchor, or getting a tow in case of trouble.
- Night fishing lights: For people who prefer fishing at night, appropriate lights must be fitted to the boat. Many states allow red and green lights for the bow and white light for the stern.
Select the right anchor and support equipment
When people get to their perfect fishing spot, many prefer to remain there until they have caught enough. To stop and stay at the same point without getting carried away by waves requires an anchor. Make sure to have an anchor weighing 1 pound for every foot of boat length. As you buy an anchor, check for a long chain of galvanized chain to fix on the anchor and prevent the rope from wearing off faster.
Carry items to follow weather predictions
When you are out in the sea, the weather can get really rough. You need to have the right equipment to follow on weather predictions and tell when a storm is headed your way. Besides, you should have polarized sunglasses to protect the eyes from excess reflection on the water surface. Do not forget to include waterproof apparel to use if it starts raining suddenly.
Carry all the fishing gear
To fish successfully using a BobCat boat, you need to carry fishing lines, reels, nets, hooks, baits, and lines. You will also require appropriate holding container depending on the quantity of the targeted catch. Make sure to add some ice on the holding container to keep the fish fresh.